Saturday, October 11, 2008

Spiced Nuts

I was in the mood to make some treats today and while at the store I remembered a recipe for spiced nuts that I used to make as a girl around this time of the year.
I love the spicy scent that they put off while in the oven.
I was trying to come close to the recipe from Felicity's cookbook from the American girl collection, and I just kind of dumped and added till I got the spice/sugar ratio right. There are a lot of different variations of spiced nut recipes on the web.



I used almonds, pecans and walnuts and dipped them into egg whites mixed with a little water, then coated the nuts with the sugar/spice mixture (I used ground allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little pumpkin spice) and then transferred them to a lightly greased cookie sheet and baked them in the oven at 350* for about ten minutes. I let them cool thoroughly to make sure they were set.

I had an old jar that I like to use for candy, and decided to decorate it with the fall season in mind. I printed out some designs on adhesive label sheets so that I can take it off the jar later.
I found this great website for scrapbooking printouts, (where I got the labels and cutouts) and it's free!
http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/themes.html

No comments: