Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy Autumn!

Hi everyone!
Well here we are in our first week of the fall season. I hope that everyone is enjoying the cool down after a hot summer. I have been busy with fall cleaning and am looking forward to start my fall decorating. I was thinking today about how I was one of those women who used to use all of the harmful cleaning products that you find on the cleaning aisle of the supermarket. And probably just because it's what my mother and grandmother used and the idea that using the most powerful strongest stuff you can find would make a cleaner safer environment for the family. Wrong! After my mom started going more natural a few years ago I followed suit, and have learned the benefits of staying away from harsh chemicals.

Some examples are:

*Cheaper on the budget than normal cleaning products.
*No strong chemical odors that let your guests know that you just finished cleaning house.
*No chance of your child getting rushed to the E.R. because of an accidental poisoning( I had to call poison control twice with my daughter before I switched( and yes I kept my chemicals up and away from my children and it still happened)Note: the ingredients I have listed on my blog are not harmful if ingested, but there are others used in natural cleaners that should be kept out of children's reach. So to be safe do your research on the products you use.
*Does not pollute the environment.
*Will not cause harm to the body i.e. cancer, hormonal imbalances, chemical burns, asphyxiation and etc.
* Is safe to use around food.
There are so many more reasons to go natural with your cleaning products.
And you don't have to be overwhelmed by switching, because you can start out small. I am still a work in progress in green speak, and there are things that I still have to phase out and make a substitute for.

Here are a few of the main products you can use:
*Baking soda- I like mixing mine with a couple drops of my favorite essential oil to make my own scented cleanser. I also put it in a shaker that way it is easy to distribute. If you sprinkle it onto your counters and use a wet sponge, it will clean up the counter like you would not believe!

*Vinegar- Can be mixed with the baking soda to make a drain cleaner or anything else that needs some extra elbow grease. Great for mopping the floor to get any buildup removed.

*Lemons- Can use the juice mixed with baking soda for a lemony cleanser. Is great for cleaning wooden cutting boards if you slice it in halves and rub across board.

*Club soda- One of the things it can be used for is a glass cleaner.
There are so many other way's to use these products.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a few links to get you started on your green journey!
www.ewg.org
www.gorgeouslygreen.com
www.natural-healthy-home-cleaning-tips.com
Good luck!

No comments: